May 8, 2013

Unexpected appreciation

This week is teacher appreciation week, and being that I am a teacher it's been a week filled with a few little extra special treats at school. I have to say, I have enjoyed the thoughtful gestures, lunch, breakfast, and other things I have received from our PTSA, administration, and of course the students....everyone likes to feel appreciated, and they have done a great job with that here at the school where I work.
 Regardless of it's often flawed philosophies, ever-changing strategies, and a host of other things beyond my control that make this job challenging at times, I am so blessed and privileged to be in this profession and would not trade it for anything in the world.

Aside from the planned celebrations,  perhaps the most special thing was an unexpected note I received today from one of my students. You see it's the student that no one really wants to work with, often times comes into class with a slight,  what I affectionately call a "teenage" attitude, and will occasionally choose not do do anything. I have to admit this student has tried my patience a time or two, but after months of working with this student some good days and bad days, we have finally reached a mutual understanding of each other's expectations and I have been quite pleased with the progress. (I have to say, I have high expectations for my students regardless of their circumstances although knowing it make take some longer than others to meet my expectations- eventually they all get there in the end.....students/kids in general will rise to meet you if you will set the bar for them) At any rate, this particular student wrote me a note....it was a simple note, but one that warmed my heart and admittedly brought a tear to my eye. ( I had to correct some of the spelling errors and a few other things, but tried to leave it as close to its original form as possible)

The note said:

"Dear Mrs. Jenkins,
Thank you for everything you do for me and for being so kind....and oh yeah, always smiling. It makes me happy to come to your class, and I'm thankful for all your hard-work and patience you put into teaching me/us. Mostly that you believe in me and think I can be something when I get out of here. You make me want to work harder and do better in school because I don't want to let you down. You are the best.  I will miss you if I don't have you next year, but can I come by and visit you in your classroom and you will still help me, right? "

I could hardly believe it, and have to say this is a highlight in my 14-year career as an educator. Never would I have expected this from this student. If you could see this student and know this student you would really understand how remarkable this note is. For all the difficulties, challenges, and otherwise unpleasant things my profession can sometimes bring, times like these make it all worthwhile and I would do it all over again in a heart-beat without question. (It's kind of like giving birth/having kids....all the stuff you go through for 9-months of carrying them, the physical pain of having them, and then all the stuff that follows after they're born is completely worth it when they learn to talk and tell you, "mommy, I love you....or thank you mommy for taking care of me, etc...." There is nothing like it and that makes it all worthwhile.)

Happy teacher appreciation week to all! May this serve as a reminder that all is not lost and often times the most difficult, hard to handle kids are the ones who need us the most. This has definitely brightened my day....along with the beautiful, warm SUNSHINE!!!! Hopefully it will do the same for you.....






No comments: