May 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday...a day late: ten pieces of advice for graduating seniors

"It's here...it's here" my children cried out this morning, (and by children I mean both my own 2 kids and all of my children at school because let's face it, they are my kids too)... "yes, it is here" I casually replied trying ever so desperately to contain my excitement over the fact that yes, it is finally here....the last day of the school year!!!!! I thought to myself this morning....I have made it another year in this profession...all without getting too many new gray hairs, only gaining 1 extra wrinkle or two, and maintaining most of my mental faculties....not too bad, I must say. As I pondered this thought about the end of another school year, I realized that I have been out of high school for 20 years....20 years......I can't believe just how quickly those 20 years have gone by. It seems like just yesterday, I was graduating high school with all of the hopes and dreams every 17 year-old has....(I was going to be rich and famous with a fabulous life, right??)

I actually can't complain about life too much especially compared to what many people have to go through or have gone through....sure, there have been some difficult times, bumps along the way if you will, but who doesn't go through that? I am very blessed with all that I have, and have to say that many of the bumps along the way or tough times I have fallen upon have actually been a result of my own doing. Some have just been part of life, but a lot have been my fault....hard to admit that, but it's true.  To that end, my top ten list is pieces of advice I would give to those who are graduating this week....just some things to consider as this new journey of "life after high school" begins....this is not intended to be professional advice, just some things I have learned along the way the past 20 years that I thought are worth sharing...

1. Learn effective communication and listening skills....even if you have to take a class for it. Being able to communicate, as well as listen are essential keys and tools for success.

2. Don't burn any bridges you may one day have to cross back over....and trust me, you will have to cross back over a bridge at least once in your lifetime.

3. Take care of your reputation by carefully considering the choices you make, and don't be afraid to stick up for what you believe in even if it is not the popular choice. You may not be liked by following this piece of advice, but you will be respected.

4. Don't buy something you don't have money in the bank to pay for. There is nothing in this world you "need" that badly. Credit is a good thing to have, but it is not something you should live off of...it's very difficult to repair bad credit once you've messed it up. (and creditors love to prey upon young college students- trust me I was once one of those)

5. Be kind to others. Not always an easy thing to do, as people will make you mad and are in general not kind. However, you will get much farther in life in the end if you are kind....(just don't mistake being kind for being a doormat. There's a difference and people will take advantage of you if you let them.)

6. Listen to your parents, professors, teachers, and in general those that are older than you. You will still likely do what you want to do anyway, as that is part of life and part of learning and growing, however those people in your life are only trying to help you safely navigate through life because they care about you. Many times they are trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes that they made.....there is wisdom with age, so listen to them even if you don't agree and/or don't want to...someday you will be one of them and you will understand.

7. Make it a point to tell those you love and care about that you love and care about them. You never know when you will see them last, and it's an awful feeling to want to tell someone and realize you can't because they're no longer here.

8. Remember when faced with tough times that someone always has it worse than you. There is something positive that can be taken away from every situation....so look for that silver lining.

9. Mistakes are going to happen...you will make them and it's okay. What makes the difference is how you handle things when you do mess up and what you learn/take away from those situations.

10. Enjoy life and all it brings....you are given one life to live, so handle it with care and make the most of it!

No comments: